@On April 25th, after completion of the new Eugenia Hall, a blessing ceremony was held. The former convent, named"Wachuan"(House of Peace) by the original owners, had also been renovated. Upon its completion, a blessing and Mass of gratitude were held.
"Wachuan" was built in 1928 as the Shishigatani residence of Mr. Hikoshiro Fujii, an Omi merchant. The School Sisters of Notre Dame who came to Japan in 1948 purchased the house and property, where they started educational activities. This was the beginning of Notre Dame Jogakuin.
@Responding to invitations from Maryknoll Fathers and the Kyoto Diocese, menbers of the St. Louis Province of the School Sisters of Notre Dame were sent to initiate educational ministries that would lead people to the fullness of their potential to access to God's graces.
In 1952 Notre Dame Jogakuin Junior High School was established, and in the next year, 1953, the High School was opened. Gradully Japanese "became the ferst convent of the Sisters.
In 2007, the "Notre Dame Jogakuin School Corporation" purchased
the building and reconstructed it in order to utilize it more effectively
as a school.
@Ms. Yoshiko kurimoto, principal, appreciated the educational value of its quiet environment including the garden. Her wish was to acquere "Wachuan" which embodied the charism of the Foundresses. This dream moved the hearts of many people.
But there were obstacles to the dream, and once "Wachuan" was supposed to be demolished. However, thanks to the efforts of many concerned people, the decision was reached to repair and keep the house, and its "rebirth" was finally realized.
A Mass of gratitude was offered, and a wave of impressive joy and greetings of gratitude followed. The new school uniforms that are going to be worn during the next school year were introduced by the principal, Ms. Yoshiko Kurimoto. Some students wearing the new uniforms stood in front of the people who gathered in gWachuanh that day. They were beautiful and represented the precious lives facing the future.
The feelings of joy were not only because people wanted to keep the original house and buildings. The place stands as witness to the lives of the people in the past who had lived there. The walls are alive with the charism of the Foundresses who passed on to those present that day an invaluable strength for the new age we all face.
The buildings that are preserved are no longer just old buildings. They are the precious places that a new future calls out to us always.
@Once again we express our deep gratitude to all past members and future members of our ND Family. Thank you very much.